That is me in the blue on the right.I was over at Vicki's blog having a look and she had taken up the challenge on Lovella's blog to post pictures of her graduation dress. It is the 20th reunion later this year for my high school graduation and when I was unpacking I found a graduation/prom photo of myself and 3 friends that I scanned and sent to one of those friends. We had a combined graduation and prom night. I too had grown up mostly with home made clothes made by my maternal grandmother. It was often a source of embarrassment especially on uniform free days at school as there were very few people still making their own clothes. I thought that I was extremely blessed to have been able to get a store bought dress for my graduation (looking at Lovella's and knowing the love that would have gone into making her dress now I'm not so sure). We had the ceremony and meal in the high school hall. Some of the students came in special cars. I went to the hair dresser and had my hair done and my aunt did my make up. Last time I saw it the dress was still in the back of mum's wardrobe but there is no hope of me fitting into it now as I am about 50kg heavier than I was then. It is the second most expensive dress I have ever owned (not sure of the exact price but I am positive that it was over $100 an absolute fortune in those days. The most expensive was my wedding dress that was about $250). Schoolies (basically schoolies is where school leavers meet on the coast and drink excessively and party wildly) was just starting then but my friends and I went in the opposite direction and had a week at Hervey Bay with my grandmother as chaperone and it was wonderful. I'll have to dig out the high school photos and do some more reminiscing.
3 comments:
Nicki. . oh thankyou for joining in the fun. Your story and pictures are wonderful. I'm glad you still have the dress .. .you never know. . it might fit you for your 30th. .
I'm glad you have great memories of being with friends and your grandma.
Nicki, thanks for joining in! Your dress is so pretty (I love that shade of blue). It's so interesting to hear the Aussie version of high school graduation!
I enjoyed reading your graduation story. It was fun to see the gals' dresses, which are really lovely. I used to call them "Vanna White" dresses because she wore so many of them back in the day. Thank you!
Post a Comment